Do I have your attention? Don’t these look pretty darn tasty? I like a good protein bar, but I don’t like a lot of junk so I’m frequently making my own. I don’t like fruit paste bars and I prefer no-bake, easy, lower sugar and of course tasty. These have a little crunchy bite to them so this recipe will be a “keeper”.
I used the LoseIt! app to enter the recipe to get my nutri stats. Stats will vary based on the type of protein powder you use and any modifications that you may make. If nutri stats are important to you – use a recipe builder in one of the many health-related apps. 12 bars. 15.9 g protein; 1.7g fiber; 10g carb, 8 g fat, 175 calories. Store in your fridge. If you add the optional peanut butter-chocolate topping then your calories will increase by about 25 calories per bar.
Here you go! [Note: I use a digital scale and measure my ingredients by the gram – easier for me that way especially when it comes to measuring nut butter]
- 1 1/2 cups whey protein crunchies (Body 360 BodyCrunch, natural, unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- I purchased the protein crunchies at Amazon & also use them to make popcorn-protein marshmallow treats
- 2 scoops (67 grams) chocolate protein powder
- 3/4 cup (192 grams) peanut butter (or almond, cashew, etc.)
- 1 TB cocoa powder (if you use vanilla protein powder – increase the cocoa powder to taste)
- 1 TB honey or maple syrup
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
- 1/4 cup milk (may need a wee bit more to get right consistency as you are mixing)
Grind the protein crunchies and oats until they are a medium-fine flour (grind them, but keep some texture for crunch). Add the protein-oat flour into a bowl and add the other ingredients. Mix by hand. May need to add very small amounts of milk as you are mixing to get the right consistency. The mixture should be well-combined and tacky, but not sticky. Transfer to wax or parchment paper and shape into a rectangle. I use a 8-9″ rectangle baking pan to get the size right. Slice into 12 bars. Store in the fridge. They will firm up a bit more as they chill.
OPTIONAL topping to spread lightly on top of the bars before you slice them: 3 Dove dark chocolate squares and 2 TB of peanut butter. Melt the chocolate and peanut butter, stir and spread over the bars.
Stay HEALTHY. Be STRONG. Get AFTER IT!